Thursday, August 7, 2008

Hats Off to Willie, Waylon, & Every Other Guitar Player Out There

Anyone else ever wanted to learn how to play the guitar out there? I have always dreamed of strummin' my guitar while singing along, yet never quite understood what it would take to get to that point. I thought it would be as easy as picking it up, moving your fingers up and down the neck and strumming away. I'm a natural, right?....WRONG!


Thank you to Scott who loaned me his guitar this past weekend and brought me one step closer to fulfilling my dream. But wait, not so fast! He sat me down and "taught" me the main chords I would need to know to do most songs. He assured me that many famous country artists used these same chords over and over again. Scott then proceeded to sing several songs while I watched in amazement about 2 inches from his fingers trying to take in every chord change and remember where all my fingers go when playing. Whew! That wasn't that hard. He made it look so easy and told me once I learned those main notes, I'd be on my way.


Well, I'm on my way alright. On my way to numbness in my pointy finger. I knew there might eventually be calluses, but I didn't know I'd have a strange sensation in my poor finger for a whole day after trying to wrap my small hand around a huge neck and spread my fingers way farther apart than God ever intended. And if that wasn't enough, I had to push down on this really tiny, tightrope wire that acted as a finger bungee unless I pressed down so hard that I created an indentation in my forefinger all the way to my fingernail.


Is this what all guitar players go through? Really? I mean, REALLY? I know A LOT of people play, but come on? Is it worth going through the pain to get to that end result? I suppose so, because I can't seem to let it go. Even after hearing that Taylor Swift played until her fingers bled as she learned, I want to learn so badly that I will suck it up and press on. (No wonder she had teardrops on her guitar!)


Maybe it's not such a great idea to publicly announce my plans to become the next guitar hero, but here I am. And one day....some day, my pain will turn to triumph and I'll be playing "My Song." Until then....wish me luck!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

You guitar playin' heathen! :)

Jenny Wims Sullivan said...

Yeah...I'm so glad that Chad relented and decided to support you in your blogging efforts...it is SO much fun!

sarahdawn said...

Glad to see your presence in the blog world! Good luck with that guitar stuff. I think I'll just stick to playing Guitar Hero over at Erika's house instead!

Angela Robinson said...

Thanks so much for your kind words (about me, and my cakes).

Most of my cake "ideas" are a result of a request from the person ordering them and a little brainstorming, on my part. I do, at times, surf the web for inspiration, too...but usually prefer to do things my own way, because then there is no right or wrong.

You have me stumped as to your identity though...I can tell you must a be a CoC friend, based on the other comments here...care to give me a hint, or should I just ask Sarah?

Good luck with the guitar, by the way. I bought an acoustic Fender and it has been in my closet for going on 4 years now. I still haven't completely given up my dream to learn how to play it though!