My wonderful husband, has very different views on SOME animals than I do and has forever tried to convince me that domesticated rats make terrific pets. They are clean. Nope. And loyal. Nope. And very sweet. Nope. Nope. Nope!!!! He had one as a child and to this day claims it was the best pet he's ever had. And he's had a lot of pets in his lifetime. He even convinced my children that they were ok, and they would want to hold one every time we entered the pet shop that my mother-n-law owns and Chad currently works at. Again, YUCK!
Well, Chad set out to start breeding rats at the store in order to sell them and he found himself a "dumbo" male and a sweet (did I say sweet?) female and they ended up having babies. 7 babies to be exact. Ouch! I suppose any living thing that can birth 7 babies at one sitting should be given some praise! :) The kids (and Chad) were so excited about the "pinkies" that were born on July 21st and although I was still in the grossed out phase, I thought they were ok.
About 2 weeks after the babies were born, the momma started getting sick. Chad noticed that she just wasn't herself and wasn't eating/drinking as much and would just lay there. He tried to nurse her back to health, but it just didn't work. Unfortunately, and sadly, he lost the momma.
See, that's where the problem comes in....bringing the babies home means I have to bring the babies into my mother's house, where we are living. She is like 10 times worse at the squimish thing with any sort of rodent....PERIOD. So, I called Dad. :) heehee!
To my surprise, he reluctantly gave us his approval, but he knew "nothing about it!" Now, we just need to figure out how to pull off getting the cage inside the house without anyone seeing us and more importantly, keeping my kids quiet. Poor girl. It was killing her! She wanted to tell so badly. The more we said "SHHH!", the more she wanted to tell.
A week went by though, with no one noticing the many trips downstairs to get the frozen veggies, or the four of us locked in our room each night to play with the babies. We did good.



4 comments:
Awww...they are cute! Tell your mom I'll be quieter on the phone when I call if she'll let you keep them. :)
Kara,
So great to see you on here. I was on Brad and Jenny's blog, and saw your name! Where are you guys now? I don't like rats at all, but these do look cute. I was a hamster fan growing up.
Check out our blog above.
Guh-ross!!!!! Paris is gonig to LOVE coming to visit you because I has a very strict no rodents policy at my house. I can't beleive you have rats. Yuck. I mean really, yuck. I still ove you though. And your still very welcome at my house - just leave those rats at yours!
I'm so glad too 'see' you in the blog world!!! Yea!!!!! Um I have to agree with Sarah on the rats. You are still welcome here just leave the rats there. Love you and can't wait to see you next month!?
Post a Comment